Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Superhero in All of Us

What parent would ever want to hear the words, "I'm lonely," from their 5 year old son and know that he really understands what that means? It breaks your heart, but I'm sure by now you all have heard the story of sweet Danny Nickerson and how the only thing he asked to be given for his 6th birthday was a box of cards. This sweet boy was diagnosed in October 2013 with   Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG), a type of very aggressive and difficult to treat brain tumor at the base of his brain. Because of this horrible disease and all the treatments the poor little guy has to go through, they had to pull him out of kindergarten.
A request was put out over Facebook, asking for people to send birthday cards in time for his 6th birthday on the 25th of July. I don't think they had any idea about the way Danny's story would touch the lives of so many and the outpouring of love that would occur. I'm not even sure what the total was in the end (for all I know cards & packages are still trickling in ;) ) but I do know at one point it was estimated to be about 15,000 cards and over 900 packages arrived. Danny's family had to come pick up his deliveries each day and required a Uhaul truck and several vehicles to bring it all home. I was so glad to see and hear that so many people could care about one small boy who only wanted to be less lonely for his birthday!
As an avid card maker and finding Danny's story so incredibly touch (especially since my oldest turned 6 back in May), I began to plan a card to send to Danny. I had just recently purchased a super cute Superhero stamp set that CTMH used to sell, Super Powers and thought it was the perfect set to use on this one Superhero's birthday card. I used classic Superhero colors and even some from a rather unconventional paper pack. I used our new ShinHan markers to color in the the super cute images and used some 3-D tape to had some dimension on my gate card. I even made a matching envelope and stamped it with more Superhero images! I absolutely love how it turned out! I hope it made Danny's day to receive this card, because it sure made mine to make it! If you want to learn more about Danny and follow is story, checkout Daniel's Journey.
Items Used
Outdoor Denim Cardstock
Cranberry Cardstock
Honey Cardstock
Colonial White Cardstock
2 different shades of lighter blue Cardstock
Jubilee paper pack (Retired)
Black Ink
Lagoon Ink
3-D Tape
Looking to restock or add to your Scrapbooking supplies, then checkout my Shop and order today! Don't forget Get Crafty!
  

August's Stamp of the Month is this super cute 'Owl'oween set! I absolutely adore this set and can't wait to add it to my collection! Spend $50 or more and get this set for only $5, or order it at its regular price of $17.95. Remember not to let this cute set pass you by, because starting September 1st it will no longer be available.

No comments:

Post a Comment