Sunday, January 26, 2014

Love You More...

Valentine's Day is creeping up on us rather quickly. I've been a mixture of emotions about the holiday this year. Being an Army Wife has its perks, but as with all things it has its downfalls too. Duty calls and you go when & where it does. My Hubby will find himself far from home a time and won't be home to celebrate this Romantic Holiday, of which I am very disappointed. Over the last few years, we've developed a tradition of going to this fabulous Brazilian restaurant, Tucanos, and then to see a movie. I love it, for me its one of the most romantic things because its so hard for us to get away. So moral of the story, I'm having a hard time getting into the mood of the holiday.

To get myself feeling the romance and the fun of Valentine's Day, I've been trying to put together some fun and romantic cards. I even put together a scrapbook layout based on one created by Becky Higgins, of Project Life fame. I've had one custom order already and I was given a lot of leeway on the design. The only direction I was given was that she wanted it to say something about love, since it was for her husband. I've been making biweekly visits to Archivers, since its going out of business and I've been snagging scrapbooking & crafting supplies that I cannot purchase from Close To My Heart at incredible deals.

I managed to pick up a ton of super cute Valentine cardstock! I'm loving some of these patterns! I so I whipped together this super cute, slightly fancy and totally easy card! The card base was 5x7 in Daisy White cardstock, then I used the front and back of a sheet of my newly acquired cardstock to create the bottom of the front. I love how the front was all these layers of ribbon like patterns and the back was grey with white polka dots. The combination on front was so fabulous! Then I cut the cute rectangle card from another newly acquired sheet of cardstock, making sure to cut it precise and round the corners. I liked the cute 'Love You More,' phrase! Then I gave it some 3D effect by placing some 3D foam tape underneath and then added this totally great section of crocheted ribbon over the top of the bottom section. I love the look, it was cute and classy. Plus, like I said totally simple. I added a cute little poem on the inside to finish it off and it was ready to go to its new home.

I'm  hoping to put together some fun cards for my kids to give out over the next couple weeks. So, I should be sharing those soon. Now what I learned from making this card was that it can look elegant without being overly complicated. Don't let using an embellishment that you've never used before intimidate you. You'll never learn if you don't try! So, go out there and make this year's Valentine cards yourself! Don't forget to Get Crafty!

No comments:

Post a Comment