Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Unique Wedding Gift

  As an 'Artist' I'd like to think I can creatively come up with ways to appeal to my customers and to give ideas to others. I love challenges, but I have to admit when the original card for my customer proved to be not exactly what she wanted. I discovered that there had been some miscommunication between my customer and I. (Something I plan to remedy, especially when a customer is wanting something very particular) So, I set to brainstorming once again.

She wanted to highlight both of her friends, who are getting married this month, for the a crazy & unique hobby; the Polar Bear Plunge. One of them wears a yellow cape and the other a floral headband. She also wanted their names, as well as their wedding date. Then she told me she wanted it so she could frame it and give it to them. So, I had a lot of detail to work with, but I needed and wanted it to be perfect. Who doesn't want a happy customer?
I started with a sketch. A very simple and rudimentary sketch, but I think it highlighted exactly what she wanted and presented my way. So I set to work, starting with cutting an 8x10 base in Daisy White Cardstock. Followed by a sheet from the Timberline paper pack (it has constellations on it) approximately 8x6. I also sketched a piece on some Daisy White CS to look like snow covered hills to give some depth to the image. I sketched both Polar Bears and the moon on Colonial White CS. (I am not a very good artist as far as drawing goes) but after a lot of revision I finally managed to get two very cute polar bears drawn. I fussy cut all three images.

I used the Banner Wishes stamp set with Black ink on Buttercup CS (a retiring item). I was even able to fit both their names and wedding date on the banner changing my original idea up a little bit. I love how it turned out. I fussy cut that image. Finally I distressed the edges of the bears and moon with black, adding in the eyes with a journaling pen and sponging more black over the surface of the moon. I edged the snow in Twilight (which is incidentally retiring at the end of the month, snatch that beautiful color up while you can!) I used some 3-D tape to pop up the moon, the banner and both polar bears. The finishing touch to the project was adding some yellow terry fabric (which I dabbed it in some Honey ink to enhance the color some more) and a floral headband made using some Neutral Bakers Twine & adhesive flowers I had lying around.

I felt moments of pure frustration with this project at moments, but I think we all do from time to time. I felt I had high expectations to live up to and I didn't want to disappoint her again. So, when I finally looked at this work of art, and I truly feel it is a Work of Art, I was proud and delighted by how it  had turned out. What made that even better was when I handed it to her and she was so excited about it. She said, 'This is exactly what I wanted!' I glowed with pride and sighed a hefty sigh of relief. One custom order down with a very satisfied customer! So, what do you think of my hard work?

Check out my Shop, so you can stock up on your supplies and have a chance to Get Crafty! I hope you all have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment